Summer is here in Australia and it’s prime time to get out for a holiday. Taking a break in summer, and going camping or caravanning, is the epitome of the Australian way of life and there’s good reason we’ve loved these kinds of holiday for generations.
Camping and caravanning apps are a new way to make your holidays even better. No matter whether you have an iPhone or an Android phone, apps open up a whole new world of options and access to helpful tools for your next vacation on the road, in the bush, by the beach, or wherever your adventurous spirit takes you.
What are Apps?
Since the first smartphone hit the Australian market in 2007, people the world over have embraced this technology and now almost 80% of Australians of all ages own a smartphone. Thanks to applications (apps) that run on smartphones, convenient and vital technology is available to everyone, including campers and caravanners on the go.
From planning your holiday to checking weather forecasts; getting from A to B safely without getting lost; and everything in between, apps make life easier and enhance your experiences.
Best Camping and Caravanning Apps for Australians
Just a few of the very vast array of apps for campers and caravanners in Australia include:
- CamperMate – this Aussie and NZ app is free and provides information on free and low-budget campsites, paid campgrounds, public toilets, offline maps, public reviews, locations of free Wi-Fi spots, hot showers, rest areas, points of interest, and supermarket locations.
- My Wheels Australia – developed by SA CrimeStoppers, this app enables you to enter registration and serial number details for your car, caravan, camper trailer, bike, or boat. It gives you instant access to this information if your vehicle is damaged or stolen, and you can even file your police report directly through the app.
- Fuel Monitor – a must for those travelling into a remote area, this affordable app ($1.99) helps with petrol planning. It looks at your vehicle’s petrol usage rate and combines it with trip distance to determine when you’ll need to fill up. It estimates trip costs in terms of fuel and offers guidance to services for emergency repairs. Similarly, FuelMap Australia is a free app offering a database of Australian petrol stations, current fuel prices, and a fuel log to track your purchases and usage.
- Campstay – allows you to shortlist your preferred camping spots, locate and compare campgrounds and holiday parks, book sites, and organise your road trip anywhere in Australia and NZ.
- WikiCamps Australia – costing $7.99, this is a database that can be used offline, providing detailed information on caravan parks, campgrounds, information centres, hostels, day stops, points of interest, dump spots, as well as a camping checklist and trip planner.
- Waze – is a Google-based navigation and traffic app. Community-based, it provides real-time traffic information with alerts for hazards, road closures, accidents, and mobile speed camera locations.
- Surface Level (IOS) / Bubble Level (Android) – part of the iMetalBox, these incorporate a spirit level, surface level, torch, ruler, battery information, conversion tool, and stopwatch. This makes it very easy to check the level of your camper or caravan.
- National Public Toilet App For All Your Potty Needs – the name is long, but the app is simple! Managed by the Australian Government, this app tells you exactly where the nearest public toilet is, how far away it is, if there are accessibility options for handicapped travellers, and how large the public toilet is. Yu never know when you’ll need to go – but this app will be a huge help.
- Emergency+ – this free travel app is essential – whether you’re travelling or not! It has been produced by the National Triple Zero Group and identifies your current GPS coordinates. You simply click on the app to call the emergency service you require (Triple Zero, Police, or SES) and they will be notified of your exact location.
- Australian Bites and Stings – offers detailed First Aid advice, assistance for identifying spiders and snakes in Australia, and a function to call Triple Zero.
These are but a small sample of the camping and caravanning apps available for travellers in Australia. There are many others, including for your convenience, entertainment, and safety – but these are a great place to start!
Choose Caravan World!
Caravan World is one of the oldest-established Caravan Dealerships in Queensland. Located at 7071 Bruce Highway, Chevallum, QLD, we are delighted to offer a wide array of caravans and camper trailers. We are renowned for our unbeatable prices, expert advice, and friendly service as well as our unique in-depth “handover” process.
Visit us today to see our current stock or give us a call on (07) 3186 8753 – we look forward to welcoming you and helping to get you on the road for your next adventure.