Christmas is coming up very quickly and this means it’s the season for holidays, from school holiday getaways to time away to visit family and enjoy the summer sun. Among the quintessential Australian getaways are the road trip and the camping trip – and with a caravan, your home away from home travels with you.
Travelling with a caravan opens up a whole new world of options for places you can visit, and it’s a more comfortable, more stylish way to vacation than by simply pitching a tent. Whether you’re taking a school holidays getaway with the family or you are seniors taking a longer trip, caravanning is the way to go.
There are myriad benefits of owning a caravan, including but not limited to:
- Flexibility of travel
- Great amenities in your van
- Access to great onsite facilities in the caravan park
- The option to own an off-road caravan for remote trips
- Owner benefits offered by some caravan parks
- Your literal home away from home
School Holiday Getaways
If you’re travelling with the family for the school holidays, taking a road trip with a caravan is a great way to go. While the initial cost of a caravan is significant, it will pay for itself over time – saving you a lot of money in accommodation, eliminating travel costs such as flights, and making your trip more self-sufficient regarding meals, etc. All of these costs add up, especially when you’re travelling with kids. It’s also incredibly convenient – you can take all the essentials with you and no longer need to worry about packing your car to the rafters with luggage. It’s a more comfortable way to travel.
There are so many places to go with a caravan, and you can literally travel all around Australia if you have the time and inclination! While beach destinations are most popular during the summer months, there are many other caravan getaways to consider. Some of the best summer caravan locations in Australia include:
- Trial Bay Gaol, situated halfway between Brisbane and Sydney
- Hervey Bay, QLD
- Rainbow Beach, QLD
- Broken River, Eungella NP, QLD
- Shark Bay and Monkey Mia, WA
- Francois Peron NP, WA
- The Snowy Mountains, NSW
- Byron Bay, NSW
- Kangaroo Island, SA
- The Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay and Lorne, VIC
- The Devil’s Marbles, NT
Planning a Caravanning Holiday – Tips
If you’re planning a caravan holiday, you need to first and foremost plan ahead. During summer, in particular, you’ll need to book your spot well in advance in a caravan park or campground.
- Holiday parks are a great option, especially if you’re travelling with kids, as they offer a range of amenities and activity options.
- Specify if you wish to book a powered campsite for your caravan.
- Make a comprehensive checklist of everything you need to take. Be sure to include items such as a fire extinguisher, first ais kit, wheel chocks, towing mirrors, insulation tape, and caravan jack. There are comprehensive lists available online as a guide.
- Have your van checked for safety.
- Have your car serviced before you travel.
- If this is the first time you’re travelling with a caravan, ensure that you understand how to drive safely while towing a van. Make sure your car is strong enough to tow the caravan’s weight.
- Take it easy – you won’t be able to travel at high speed and attempting to do so is not only unsafe, it greatly increases fuel consumption.
- Be courteous to other road users and other vacationers.
- Get an early start.
- Have a setup and take-down routine. Practice at home before you go on holiday!
Let Caravan World Help!
Discover the joys of exploring Australia with Caravan World! We have an array of great caravan options for you and we offer expert advice so that you choose the right caravan for your travel style, family size, and preferences. Give us a call today on 07 5445 2215 or come and visit our showroom at 7071 Bruce Highway, Chevallum QLD. We’ll have you on the road for your next adventure in no time.