One critical thing to pack for every single camping and caravanning trip is a complete first aid kit. Accidents happen. From minor grazes to burns and major accidents, the unexpected can happen anytime. Whether you are going off the beaten track in the outback or simply to a nearby caravan park, being prepared for the worst is very important. When your first aid kit is fully-stocked and organised, you not only have peace of mind in an emergency situation; you may save a life.
Basic First Aid Kits are sold by pharmacies, some large retailers, camping stores, caravanning suppliers, service stations, motoring organisations, and other organisations. You can also create your own.
Every first aid kit should be customised to suit your own needs.
Basic Camping/Caravanning First Aid Kit – Checklist
- Band-Aids/Elastic Plasters
- Compression bandages for snakebite and spider bite (at least 2 large)
- Gauze roll or pads
- Sterile wipes
- Safety Pins
- Sterile splinter needles
- Emergency blanket
- Triangular bandage/sling
- Antiseptic cream
- Burn cream
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Bruise cream (e.g. Hirudoid)
- Hand Sanitiser
- Sunburn relief cream (e.g. aloe vera)
- Anti-inflammatory medicine (ibuprofen)
- Antihistamine medication
- Anti-Diarrhoea medication
- Travel sickness medication
- Eye drops
- Spare Asthma medication/inhalers (where relevant)
- Epi-Pen (where relevant)
- Prescription medications
- Strapping tape
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
If you have a camping fridge or a fridge in your caravan, take a cold pack/ice pack as well.
Make sure all contents of your kit are complete and have not expired before each trip.
We also very strongly recommend you and your travel mate undertake a first aid course. These are run regularly by local colleges, local hospitals, St John Ambulance, Red Cross, Australia-wide First Aid, and other groups. A simple search online will help you locate your nearest provider.
Insect Repellents for Camping
A crucial part of your first aid kit when you are camping or caravanning in Australia is the right insect repellent. You need to mitigate those annoying little bugs from the outset, not just for your comfort but also your health and peace of mind.
Nothing can spoil the serenity quite like some of the wildlife you may have to share your campsite with. While not as offputting and fearsome as snakes and spiders, insects can really bug you (yes, we went there!).
In Australia, common bugs that campers and caravanners encounter include:
- Flies – House Flies, Bush Flies, Blow- Flies, Sand Flies (Midges), March Flies
- Lice/Sea Lice
Insect Repellents include:
- Spray-On repellents including Aerogard, RID, OFF!, and Bushman’s.
- Nature’s Botanical – a natural cream containing essential oils of cedarwood and rosemary to deter flies.
- Moov – contains melaleuca oil.
- Citronella Coils.
- Citronella Candles
Tips To Minimise Insect Bites Include:
- Choose a site away from low-lying areas and stagnant water. Camp several metres away from lakes, rivers, or streams.
- Use a mosquito net while you sleep.
- Use screens on your caravan windows.
- Invest in a screened annexe.
- Use citronella coils around your site (but not inside your tent or caravan).
- At night, in particular, wear lightweight pants and long sleeves. Note that mosquitoes are most attracted to red and black clothing.
- Don’t leave food uncovered.
- Avoid using perfume or strongly-perfumes toiletries while camping.
- Secure and seal all rubbish.
- Use red or yellow lights in preference to white lights in your site at night. A bright white or UV light located away from your van or tent can draw insects there and away from where you sleep.
Going on Holidays? Visit Caravan World!
If you’re planning a camping or caravanning holiday this summer, don’t hesitate to visit us at Caravan World! We are very conveniently situated at 7071 Bruce Highway, Chevallum, QLD. With a fabulous range of caravans and camper trailers, we offer unbeatable prices and the best service you’ll encounter in our industry. Call us today on (07) 3186 8753 and let us help you get out there for your next Aussie adventure!