It would be an understatement to suggest that autumn 2020 is not looking remotely like any of us could have predicted. Those much-anticipated trips away in your caravan have been placed on the backburner. But as they say, “every cloud has a silver lining” – and right now, stuck at home as we may all be, this is a great time to spend rearranging your van so that it is set up better than ever before, ready for the time in future when you can once again hit the open road.
Internal Storage and Your Caravan
Let’s face it: your caravan has limited internal storage space, which means there are restrictions on how much you can carry. You also need to consider how the contents of your caravan impact its total weight and comply with your vehicle’s towing capacity.
The secret is to cleverly utilize the available space in your van. You also need to pack the contents of your van in such a way to ensure they don’t move around while you’re in transit.
Organization and accessibility are the keys to stress-free caravanning; part of this is strictly complying with the motto: “A Place for Everything, and Everything in its Place”.
Yes, your van does have drawers and cupboard space. But you will need to purchase or otherwise source the right storage solutions as well – from stackable organizer baskets for the kitchen cupboards to strong adhesive “magic” wall hooks; from a collapsible dish rack to holders for under-shelf storage; from vacuum-seal Spacebags to under-bed roller tubs; from portable foldup clothes dryers to DampRid products to ensure the integrity of your clothing and linens – having the right storage solutions is the key to simplifying and maximizing your available storage space.
Tips for Organising your Van
- Be conservative – pack (and take) only what you really need.
- Pack clothing based on the season you’re travelling into, the expected weather conditions, your planned activities, and your comfort. Anticipate how often you’ll be able to do laundry and pack accordingly.
- In terms of food, stock up on non-perishable pantry essentials like salt, pepper, oils, spices, herbs, and anything unusual you need or want that you don’t expect to be able to easily buy along the way. Only take a minimal amount of tinned, packet, and fresh foods, as you will be able to grocery shop in most places as needed (unless you are heading way off the beaten track for an extended period).
- Organise your van with the following:
- Shelved foldable wardrobe organisers
- Utensil trays
- Drawer dividers
- Stackable or nested cookware
- Collapsible colander
- Stackable storage tubs
- Screw-top, sealable food containers for pantry staples like flour, cereal, etc
- Under-bed storage tubs
- Consider towable storage boxes for maximising storage space on a larger scale and for longer trips.
The very best caravan internal storage outcomes will depend on you being very savvy about what to leave at home versus what to take. Pack only what you will use, and use everything you pack – and know where everything is! This minimalist approach to travelling in a caravan or camper trailer will stand you in good stead!
Mention Caravan World for a Discount!
To help you make the most of your available space and set up your van’s interior storage, the very generous owners of Howard’s Storage World in Maroochydore, Michael and Julie Keegan, are offering Caravan World’s customers a 10% discount.
Simply visit Maroochydore Howard’s Storage World online or in-person (they are currently open under reduced trading hours) at Dalton Drive, Maroochydore and mention Caravan World at the checkout to benefit from this fantastic offer.
Caravan World is taking COVID-19 very seriously. While we remain open and trading as usual at this time, please be assured that we are adhering to all necessary health and safety recommendations to keep you safe. We are conducting video tours of all vans and motorhomes to help customers to view vans without visiting the dealership via any Video conferencing platform.
Call us today on (07) 5445 2215 to view our current stock!
Image by: Howards Storage World